The Hand Off: Sun Beet Salad
Last week Megan Chromik graced the Relay with scrumptious Lemony Pea Shoot and Ricotta Canapès. Her simple and tasty blend of lemon, fresh ricotta and tender pea shoots inspired a sprout driven creation for me. On Tuesday, I mentioned a recent visit to a local sprout grower and organic farm which, in tandem with Megan’s recipe, helped to shape my ingredient list. Following Megan’s lead I am keeping things easy, fresh and pallet pleasing for a cool Spring salad.
CLICK HERE for the full post and recipe.
One of my favorite parts of the Relay is that I’m nudged to source my ingredients locally and grown organically, sending me to take a closer look and explore my farmers markets, neighbors yards and local merchants. This week I was able to use fresh sprouts from a local producer Sun Grown Organics, beets from my tour of Suzie’s Organic Farm, fresh thyme from my garden and Sonoma, California produced goat cheese from Trader Joe’s. I encourage you to adapt this recipe to what you can find locally whether it be a different herb or root vegetable. This recipe can easily be transformed into something different. A basic zingy dressing and crumbled goat cheese can be a dynamic duo for an array of veggies, raw or cooked. So if you find yourself without beets or sprouts, may this recipe guide you to exploring other potentials that are in season wherever you are.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 bunch beets
- 4 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp lemon thyme (fresh)
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 1 package or 4oz sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Begin by parboiling beets whole with 1 inch of stems left on in water for 20 minutes
- While beets are cooking mince garlic and thyme.
- In a small bowl mix lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic and thyme. Set aside.
- Remove beets from heat and let cool in a cold water bath.Once cool enough to handle, peel skins with a knife and chop into bite sized chunks.
- In a medium bowl add chopped beets and dressing. Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Dish beets onto a plate top with sunflower sprouts and crumbled goat cheese.
This recipe, is quick easy and very colorful; a perfect Spring side to any meal. Bring it as a salad to a BBQ or serve it as mid-day snack. Beets can be parboiled and refrigerated several days in advance, giving you lead time for putting together a quick meal. Cheese can be omitted and for a dairy free option and adding nuts like sunflower seeds or pistachios is a great way to add some crunch and extra flavor.
As summer approaches BBQs, holiday weekends and vacations bring more opportunity for sharing meals. I am always looking for quick healthy dishes to share with my friends and family. Leave me a comment below, I would love to hear what your favorite Spring and Summer dishes are.