The Hand Off: Summer Flounder en Papilotte with Roasted Fennel and Blueberry Salsa
By Valerie and Eugenie MaineAs we mentioned on Tuesday, our location is minutes away from a source of very fresh fish. That, along with our own ripening garden of herbs and vegetables, and our routine Saturday morning trip to our South Kingstown Farmer’s market, inspired us to transform Mandy’s Melon Salsa into our own creation of locally grown vegetables accompanying summer flounder en papillote cooked on the grill.
CLICK HERE for the full post and recipe.
We were able to harvest several green peppers, a lemon cumber, a large fennel bulb, mint, rosemary, marjoram and thyme from our Snug Harbor garden. The trip to the farmer’s market produced a pint of freshly picked blueberries, a few pickling cucumbers, and a handsome bunch of scallions. Two ears of left over corn on the cob grilled without husking added a foreign ingredient sourced from New Jersey. Fearing that the fresh fennel might dominate in the salsa, we sliced it, brushed it with olive oil and roasted it before chopping it and adding it to the salsa. In order to grill the summer flounder, we constructed packets using aluminum foil (“en Papilotte”) and included two small flounder filets along with olive oil, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and paper thin lemon slices in each one.
Summer Flounder en Papilotte with Roasted Fennel and Blueberry Salsa
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour (with two people chopping)
Yeild: 8 servings of two filets each
Ingredients for salsa:
- 3 small green peppers
- 2-3 scallions
- 1 fennel bulb
- 3 small cucumbers
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 ears grilled corn
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- 3-4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil (first cold pressed)
Ingredients for Summer Flounder en Papilotte:
- 2 ½ lbs fresh summer flounder filets
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 lemon sliced paper thin
- 2 Tablespoons rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon marjoram (finely chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon thyme (finely chopped)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions for the Salsa:
- Core and chop the green peppers.
- Score the cucumber skins with a fork then finely chop.
- Remove wilted leaves and roots from scallions and finely chop.
- Husk roasted corn and use sharp knife to remove kernels.
- Wash and pick over blueberries.
- Slice fennel bulb laterally into ¼ inch slices, brush with olive oil, and grill for 5-10 minutes until soft, then finely chop.
- Mix all chopped ingredients into large glass bowl, add the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Cooking Directions for the Summer Flounder in Papilotte:
- Cut aluminum foil into eight 1’ by 1’ sections
- Drizzle each section with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place two flounder filets on each section of foil.
- Sprinkle with chopped herbs, drizzle with lemon juice, and add two slices of lemon.
- Fold and securely seal each fish packet.
- Cook on grill for 5-8 minutes.
- Serve immediately with salsa and basmati rice.
Valerie and Eugenie are a mother-daughter team who have put hours of love, sweat, and toil into cultivating their small vegetable garden. Eugenie is a retired teacher, avid philanthropist, and tennis player. Valerie is a graduate student in clinical psychology who has spent the last two years living amongst the vegetable patch in Eugenie’s backyard.